Re: [debian-devel] Re: Ancient architecture

Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> Maybe important is too strong but standard would be a good middle
> ground. So many Debian users will need ppp for their modem or dsl
> connection to install additional packages. People even want ppp included
> in the D-I itself. Thats not something I would consider being optional.

pcmcia-cs is needed, or at least is extremely important, on some systems.
It's priority extra because if you *don't* have a laptop, there's really
no reason to have it installed.

PPP is a very similar situation, I think.  On nearly all of my systems,
there is no conceivable scenario in which PPP would be used.  It all
depends on where you use Debian.