Re: Ancient architecture

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 10:39:22AM +0100, Piotr Roszatycki wrote:
> U?ytkownik Wouter Verhelst napisa?:
>
> >On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:40:58PM +0100, Piotr Roszatycki wrote:
> >
> >>http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=lyx&ver=1.3.4-1&arch=m68k&stamp=1079001763&file=log&as=raw
> >>
> >>Automatic build of lyx_1.3.4-1 on kullervo by sbuild/m68k 1.170.4
> >>Build started at 20040307-0946
> >>ranlib .libs/libfrontends.a
> >>ranlib: .libs/libfrontends.a: No space left on device
> >>Finished at 20040311-1142
> >>Build needed 97:35:29, 1163384k disk space
> >>
> >>So after four days I've got "no space" message...
> >

> >It'll obviously be retried. Your point?
>
> Too slow system.

It's not "too" slow. It's slower than new systems, yes, but whether it's
"too" slow depends on your POV. If we can't keep up, we usually add
extra systems (and we're due to do that right now, because we are having
problems; but it's being worked on).

> Too low space.

Well, yeah, you were unlucky; It happens every once in a while that a
buildd runs out of space, even on the "faster" architectures. But that's
not usually a problem; to give you an idea, there is no active m68k
buildd which has less than 9G of hard disk space, which is even enough
to build X; and this machine, kullervo, has 18G of available diskspace.
Note, that's counting all diskspace, not just the free space.

The problem was, most likely, that Roman Hodek, who maintains kullervo's
buildd, has been a bit less active the last few days. I'm sure he'll
clean up soonishly -- that's what he's always done, and I see no reason
why he would suddenly stop doing that.

> Should I exclude m68k architecture?

I don't see why you should. If you start dropping architectures when
they can't build your package the first time around, we'll eventually
end up with a distribution containing only one port.

If you want that, you can get it -- it's called Debian 1.3.

> It causes that packages can't entry into sarge.

Yes, but this kind of things happen on more architectures than m68k.
Granted, it's a bit more painful here, because it takes longer; but
that's about all the difference there is.

--
Wouter Verhelst
"Stop breathing down my neck." "My breathing is merely a simulation."