Re: [debian-devel] Re: Ancient architecture

Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> writes:

> Scripsit Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de>
>
> > Why is ppp optional? Shouldn't it be important?
>
> No it shouldn't. What the priorities mean is described in section 2.5
> of policy.

| important:
| Important programs, including those which one would expect to find on
| any Unix-like system.

A linux without ppp realy sucks and I would say "What on earth is
going on, where is foo?" as I have done so several times over X-Mas
when I needed it on a rescue cd.

Maybe important is too strong but standard would be a good middle
ground. So many Debian users will need ppp for their modem or dsl
connection to install additional packages. People even want ppp
included in the D-I itself. Thats not something I would consider being
optional.

But I guess ultimately its the maintainers decision baring conflicts.

MfG
        Goswin