Re: [debian-devel] Re: Ancient architecture

Scripsit Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de>
> Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> writes:
> > Scripsit Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de>

> > > Why is ppp optional? Shouldn't it be important?

> > No it shouldn't. What the priorities mean is described in section 2.5
> > of policy.

> | important:
> | Important programs, including those which one would expect to find on
> | any Unix-like system.

> A linux without ppp realy sucks

Bah. I happily run three Debian boxes. None of them have ppp installed.

> and I would say "What on earth is going on, where is foo?"

If you s/foo/ppp/, then you have really strange ideas about what
belongs on *any* Unix-like system.

> Maybe important is too strong but standard would be a good middle
> ground.

standard
    These packages provide a reasonably small but not too limited
    character-mode system. This is what will be installed by default
    if the user doesn't select anything else. It doesn't include many
    large applications.

There is no reason to "install ppp by default if the user doesn't
select anything else".

> So many Debian users will need ppp for their modem or dsl
> connection to install additional packages.

Sure. That does not mean that ppp needs to be found on *any* Unix-like
system.

> People even want ppp included in the D-I itself.

Fine. That doesn't mean that it needs to have its priority
artificially inflated, I hope.

--
Henning Makholm                      "The compile-time type checker for this
                           language has proved to be a valuable filter which