Re: Screw non-free.

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 10:53:48AM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:
> If non-free becomes more important, we failed.

Not really. If it becomes more important for a little while, then less
important, then more important again, that's not failure, that's just
random fluctuation -- losing a battle doesn't mean losing the war.

But even then, *Debian*'s goal has never been to rid the world of non-free
software, it's been to make a free operating system. If we find non-free
software has become so important we can't do that, then we'll have failed,
certainly, but that's a pretty extreme example.

Considering we're now disagreeing with other parts of the free software
community on what's "free" and what's not, the fact that "non-free"
is becoming more important (in particular due to the GFDL) isn't even a
failure on behalf of the free software community; it's just a legitimate
disagreement.

> That would be another
> reason for me to get rid of it as soon as possible in order not to
> contaminate more people's hard disks.

> Anyway, if more programs go into non-free, their use should be
> discouraged if people want to use a Free system.  They chose on their
> own, though.

Those two statements seem contradictory to me. If they're choosing
on their own, then it's not our responsibility to stop them from
"contaminating" their own hard disks.

Cheers,
aj

             Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we could.