Re: Screw non-free.

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 07:21:27PM -0600, Ean Schuessler wrote:

> Non-free and contrib crept in as a matter of convenience. At the time the vast
> majority of people could not download something as big as Debian so their
> importance was discounted. Those times are passing and we need to come to
> terms with where we came from so that we can firmly perceive where we are
> headed.

non-free will become more important in the future:

With Debians position regarding documentation licenses (especially the
GFDL), the documentation (e.g. man pages and info files) for many
important free programs in Debian will have to go into non-free after
the release of sarge.

With a separate non-free project, it might e.g. become more difficult to
keep the gcc package in main in sync with the man and info pages of gcc
in non-free.

> Ean Schuessler, CTO

cu
Adrian