Re: Spam on lists? [was: Re: serious problems with Mr. Troup]

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 07:41:22PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> The point I was trying to make is that you (listmasters) would have your
> priorities slightly reversed if you cared much more about a GPG-signed
> message in a moderated mailing list for being off-topic than about the
> hundreds of spam messages in the non-moderated ones. Both things are
> list abuse.

There's a difference here. I don't think we'll ever see a story like
'OMG! There was a spam mail on debian-devel! The listmasters are teh
suck0rz!!1' on Slashdot, while the original posting to
debian-devel-announce could very well result in bad (and totally
uninformed) press in geek mass media, thanks to Ingo and Waldi.
Debian-devel-announce gets read and noticed by far more people than your
average debian-devel posting/flamewar.

So, I believe we should discuss what we can do to prevent similar PR
nightmares in the future, apparently common sense of Debian Developers
is not abundant enough to warrant this.

Personally, I don't think the fact that a non-DD posted this thread is
the most concerning thing. I think informative posts by non-DDs are fine
on d-d-a, as long as they are on-topic and the corresponding DD takes
full responsibility for the post. The questions are:

Should we handle this technically by blocking further posts from
abusers, as the listmasters proposed?

Do we expect other DDs to post off-topic, incoherent and harmful mails
to d-d-a? What if another person thinks 'the gates are open' and rants
about some other DD not doing his job properly?

Do we need a meta-moderator of d-d-a?

Do we even care whether people/organizations outside of Debian read
d-d-a and what they make of the posts?

Is there a public (or paraphrasable semi-public) statement by Bastian
Blank on why he sponsored Ingo's post and whether he knew Ingo is going
to mail d-d-a?

The right place for this discussion would be of course -project, not
-devel, so I've Cc'd -project and hopefully set the M-F-T properly.

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Debian Developer