Re: Spam on lists? [was: Re: serious problems with Mr. Troup]

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 07:07:20PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> > > Funny. Do you really care about list abuse? Then please fix Bug #228228,
> > > which is the cause for nearly HALF of the spam we receive.
> >
> > Regarding your bug, #228228, I've never seen the listmasters claim to
> > run razor over the email lists - I don't believe it to be a bug to not
> > be doing something you never claimed to be.
>
> Actually we did have razor2 enabled at one point in the list configuration,
> but Santiago later said it stopped working. I don't know the specifics,
> someone should look at why that is so.
>
> The backstory is that Santiago offered to be a listmaster (one that would
> mainly take care of spam, and probably also help with smartlist
> configuration) but was rejected, mostly because he's pissing Joey off with
> his attitude :) So now every time he gets irritated with the amount of spam
> that goes through he rubs the fact we're worse than him in the spam
> department in our collective faces. Which is his prerogative, really, just
> like it's the prerogative of senior listmasters to veto someone's acceptance
> to the group. *shrug*

Having said that, I should note that I often happen to be the main
listmaster who responds to public issues, but not always the main listmaster
who does the work because I also have many other things to attend to, so I
get irritated when someone tackles me like this. I should also mention that
I was the one who supported Santiago's acceptance to listmaster because I
believed that we could find a mutual understanding as far as attitude
towards spam and in general is concerned. So this pretty lame act of
throwing generic listmaster issues solely at myself only ends up being
indicative of a general lack of cooperative nature from him, something that
caused the non-acceptance to the group in the first place, and is therefore
not going to promote his cause, rather hinder it.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.