On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 10:33:03AM +0100, Ingo Juergensmann wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 05:08:16AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > The charter for debian-devel is technical discussion about Debian
> > development. This isn't technical discussion, it's a demand that either
> > a delegate reverse a decision, or the DPL remove them. That's off-topic,
> > and utterly inappropriate from a non-developer; it would be on-topic for
> > the technical ctte if it was brought up by a developer (which Nathanael,
> > Ingo and Goswin aren't), and that developer was actually significantly
> > affected by the lack of buildds (which ttbomk, no one actually is --
> > were this a bug, it'd be "wishlist", for it to be appropriate to involve
> > the tech ctte it should be at least "important").
>
> Oh, that's sound like fun...
> You say that this issue should be brought up to the ctte, but that we (the
> three persons you're mentioning) basically can't do that because we're not a
> developer and therefore that would be inappropriate.

(a) Anthony didn't say "should be brought up to the committee" if you
pay attention to all of the sentence above, (b) surely some developer
would be willing to sponsor a disagreement being brought up by a
non-developer to the committee if it were a reasonable complaint and in
line with the TC's charter?

> > Flamewars on this list correlate very poorly with actual problems
> > facing Debian.
>
> So, it would be better to hide problems from the public by carrying it to
> the ctte.

Ah, another disappointingly knee-jerk cabal accusation without the
benefit of facts. The committee list is publicly archived; both their
decisions and the process of making them is public.

> Can you please enlighten me *who* is in the ctte?

See our web site, under either "Debian's Organizational Structure" or
"Developer's Corner". (The latter will lead you to a web page maintained
by the TC listing the decisions they've made.) Since these are the
obvious places to look for any group of officers in Debian, it seems
clear to me that you didn't look.

Cheers,