Re: Top 5 things that aren't in Debian but should be :-)

Scripsit David Nusinow <david_nusinow@verizon.net>

> There is absolutely no reason to preserve local changes to the
> user's config if they are explicitly using the program to change
> that config.

Well, I would be seriously pissed if I tried to download an
interesting new user interface for changing settings in
/etc/default/foo, and upon trying it found out that it silently
overwrites all those of my previous local changes to /etc/default/foo
that it doesn't understand.

> Just because the app uses debconf as its UI does not change this.

Likewise. Preserving local changes should be an axiom whether or not
the application in question uses debconf to talk to the user.

--
Henning Makholm                                           "Check the sprog."