Re: Top 5 things that aren't in Debian but should be :-)

tor 2004-01-22 klockan 01.48 skrev smurfd:

> > > Well.. thats a big drawback, that the patches conflict with each other.
> > > But, its because they try to patch the kernel on same places, and then
> > > the patch recognises, that there is not the original code, right? .
> >
> > Right.  Also it's not just that the patch utility can't find the context, it's
> > that variables are renamed, new functions are added, and the code just has to
> > be changed to match.
> >
> > > Im not sure if i know how/what to do, though.
> > > i mean, patching a kernel, and packaging it... wouldnt be, too hard i
> > > guess.. but solving those kernel-patch-conflicts.. i dont know how to
> > > do.
> >
> > You just need to be a really good C programmer and have a few hours to spare
> > every time a new kernel is released.
>
> okidoki. Seems like alot of work though.
>
> Well im throwing up a chroot as we speak, so that i will probably look
> into the work at hand in this weekend or so.. and will get back to see
> if im capable or not..
>
> Hmm.. when i come to think about it, its "basicly", "just" merge:ing the
> diff files for 2 (or more patches)
>
> Though, the patches that is spoken about is HUGE.
>
> Well we will se..
>
> Best regards
> --
> smurfd <smurfd@smurfnet.homelinux.net>
> aka Nicklas Boman

Okey, have had a look and, yes, they where huge patches.. so alot of
time will be needed, time that i dont have for the moment..
The university is pretty time-consuming..
will probably calm down in about 2 weeks or so..

Mean while at school, i had another idea.. wich could be a great thing
too..

Something similar to the Harden packages, but say, a "harden-kernel"
package, wich will, install a kernel-source, and you get to choose from
the available securityrelated kernel patches..
say,
* grsecurity or
* adamantix or
* etc etc..