Re: Top 5 things that aren't in Debian but should be :-)

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 10:25:34PM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> Why re-invent the wheel?  If it's gpl, then why not integrate what other
> distributions already have?  This can't be a new feature for linux
> distributions, so there has to be something ready to pick up.  Maybe
> even the different distribution's solutions into a single oss project...

Well, the idea is a bit different. It's more to be a set of frontends
for console-only stuff, which debian has in spades. Right now, it's just
a frontend to dpkg-reconfigure, but the idea is to make similar ones to
things like update-alternatives. The advantage also is that we already
have our own configuration interface tool in debconf, and
configure-debian uses debconf as the interface to keep things both
uniform and simple.

 - David Nusinow