Re: Top 5 things that aren't in Debian but should be :-)

Em Qua, 2004-02-04 às 10:40, Daniel Burrows escreveu:
> On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 10:29:05AM -0300, Daniel Ruoso <daniel@ruoso.com> was heard to say:
> > I was talking about something that would be accesible in a console or in
> > X (with gtk and/or qt) or even in Web... Just like debconf.
>
>   Isn't webmin something along these lines? (I've never used it)

Actually webmin is web-only... But this question applies to linuxconf..

Yes and no.

Yes because it's "environment-independent", but no, because it just
doesn't work well (linuxconf, I've never used webmin).

When I used linuxconf (ok, it was a Conectiva Linux, so I don't know if
the problem is with linuxconf or with Conectiva) it simply throwed away
every change I've made manually on the config files (including
/etc/issue).

And also, for my surprise, it restarted the network when I've changed
the hostname (this was bad at the moment, because the only interface I
had to connect to the machine wasn't configured in linuxconf, so, I lost
access to the machine).

I think that to something like that work it must be package-oriented.
Just like debconf is. Debconf works quite well, it's just missing an
interactive interface.