Re: Top 5 things that aren't in Debian but should be :-)

Em Qua, 2004-02-04 às 10:40, Daniel Burrows escreveu:
> On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 10:29:05AM -0300, Daniel Ruoso <daniel@ruoso.com> was heard to say:
> > I was talking about something that would be accesible in a console or in
> > X (with gtk and/or qt) or even in Web... Just like debconf.
>   Isn't webmin something along these lines? (I've never used it)

Actually webmin is web-only... But this question applies to linuxconf..

Yes and no.

Yes because it's "environment-independent", but no, because it just
doesn't work well (linuxconf, I've never used webmin).

When I used linuxconf (ok, it was a Conectiva Linux, so I don't know if
the problem is with linuxconf or with Conectiva) it simply throwed away
every change I've made manually on the config files (including

And also, for my surprise, it restarted the network when I've changed
the hostname (this was bad at the moment, because the only interface I
had to connect to the machine wasn't configured in linuxconf, so, I lost
access to the machine).

I think that to something like that work it must be package-oriented.
Just like debconf is. Debconf works quite well, it's just missing an
interactive interface.