Re: gcc as optional

Hi!

On 2004-01-28  8:44 +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > The number of people not using the task system that would have to
> > install gcc by hand after installing the default packages would be a
> > lot greater than the number of people who currently deinstall gcc
> > because of being shortof space, so I don't think making gcc optional
> > would be a good idea.
>
> Well, I think this is a strong "geek-minded" point of view...:-).
>
> In these days, people who really need a C compiler a a Unix machine,
> especially a workstation, is lowering.

I fully agree :-)

> All these people do indeed know how to install gcc easily (Goswin
> mentioned "apt-get install build-essentials").

Besides, checking the C/C++ task is even easier for an end user.
People who deliberately don't use tasksel are supposed to know what
they are doing (i.e. should be capable to choose packages according to
their needs) anyway.

> This is why I support Andrea proposal, which should indeed be
> reported as a bug against the gcc package(s).

I'm not sure, but shouldn't this be filed against ftp.debian.org
instead? AFAIK it is the ftpmaster who sets the definitive priorities.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Martin

--
Martin Pitt                 Debian GNU/Linux Developer
martin@piware.de                      mpitt@debian.org