Re: [mass bug filing] still depending on exim instead of exim4

On 28-Jan-04, 03:58 (CST), Mathieu Roy <yeupou@gnu.org> wrote:
> However, it remains unclear to me why these 50 packages have Depends
> on exim3 instead of Depends on the virtual package
> mail-transport-agent.

Because Depending on a pure virtual pacakge results in (effectively)
random fulfillment of that dependency. To provide a default, you have
to specify an explicit package. Since our default MTA was exim, most
packages needed to have 'Depends: exim | mail-transport-agent'. If
anybody had known that Exim was going to change so much as to require a
renaming, we'd have been more clever about it in the beginning. I don't
suppose you have a time machine around anywhere?

Steve

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net