Re: [mass bug filing] still depending on exim instead of exim4

* Daniel J. Priem (devel@walki.homelinux.org) [040128 10:10]:
> Am Mit, 2004-01-14 um 11.23 schrieb Marc Haber:
> > Because exim 4 is not a drop-in replacement for exim 3. It uses a
> > different configuration file format that cannot be converted in an
> > easy way.

> Why dont develop a script wich is converting the exim3conf to an usable
> exim4config and haveing this in the postinstallscript?
> or is exim4 so different that this is absolutely impossible?

Have you installed exim4? If so, you could quite easily see that exim4 does
(a) use the eximconfig as default values for debconf
(b) provides such a script, but with big warnings, as some cases are
not handled right.

You might want to read the files /usr/share/doc/exim4-base/README.Debian.gz
and /usr/share/doc/exim4-base/Exim4.upgrade.gz.

| Upgrading Exim from Release 3.33 to 4.xx
| ----------------------------------------
|
| Exim 4.00 represents the largest upheaval in Exim's history. There are a lot of
| changes to the way some parts of Exim work, and a lot of incompatible changes
| to the run time configuration file.
|
| This document is in two parts. The first part contains instructions and
| suggestions for how you might go about performing the upgrade. The second part
| is a brief list of all the changes that have taken place. For full details of
| all the new features, please consult the current version of the reference
| manual.

So, I think there's nothing more that the exim4 maintainer could do.
However, exim4 is just not a drop-in replacement for exim3.

Cheers,
Andi
--
   http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/