Re: [mass bug filing] still depending on exim instead of exim4

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 10:00:45AM +0100, Daniel J. Priem wrote:
> Am Mit, 2004-01-14 um 11.23 schrieb Marc Haber:
> > On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:55:08 +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen
> > <pere@hungry.com> wrote:
> > >[Marc Haber]
> > >
> > >Why not just change exim4 to provide "exim"?
> >
> > Because exim 4 is not a drop-in replacement for exim 3. It uses a
> > different configuration file format that cannot be converted in an
> > easy way.
> >

> Why dont develop a script wich is converting the exim3conf to an usable
> exim4config and haveing this in the postinstallscript?
> or is exim4 so different that this is absolutely impossible?

Yes. A script to convert an exim3-style exim.conf files to the
exim4-style equivalent already exists, written by Philip Hazel, the
upstream author. In his own words: "It handles most cases, but of course
it's not AI, it's just perl!".

The problem is that exim's concepts have changed drastically in the
areas of delivery to local mailboxes (that's now handled the same way as
delivery to remote servers, which is a lot saner) and ACL's (an ACL
concept has been added, rather than a whole bunch of configuration
parameters, which also is a lot saner). The perl script tries to map
variables to ACL rules and tries to map directors into routers in a
correct way, but that isn't always possible.

--
Wouter Verhelst
"Stop breathing down my neck." "My breathing is merely a simulation."