Re: [mass bug filing] still depending on exim instead of exim4

Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> wrote:
> [Marc Haber]
>> we still have about 50 packages in the archive that have exim (not
>> exim4) in their Depends/Recommends/Suggests field. Since exim 3 is no
>> longer supported upstream, and exim 4 is the default MTA for sarge, I
>> intend to file wishlist bugs against these packages asking to depend
>> on exim 4 instead of exim 3.

> Why not just change exim4 to provide "exim"?

Because that does not solve the issue (and breaks exim4).

The 50 packages (well, almost of them), simply have depends line like
this:
Depends: exim | mail-transport-agent

And if apt needs to resolve this dependency it will probably grab the
real package exim instead of a different one providing it.
                  cu andreas