Re: Removal of libtool1.4

Hi Hennig,

Henning Makholm wrote:

In addition to the above packages, the following 42 source packages
meet the same criteria, but with ltmain.sh located somewhere else
than the root of the source tree, and the configure script either
beside it or in its parent directory:

  3dwm bird brahms drscheme eco5000 gimp-print gnat-gdb gnomemm gtkmm
  isdnutils jade kfocus kimagemapeditor klineakconfig kmatplot
  kmusicdb kphone kpsk ksensors ksocrat ktimetrace
  libapache-mod-encoding libgtk-canvas libsidplay libsigc++ lineakd
  meshio metamail ncpfs ngrep plotutils rrdtool rsplib rxvt-beta
  sdlgfx t1lib t1lib-old tetex-bin unixodbc xcin xtux yiyantang

In these cases I am less sure that the ltmain.sh is actually used in
the package's build process.

There is a legitimate way with autoconf to specify where all these auxiliary auto* tools build helper scripts should go (config.guess, config.rpath, config.sub, depcomp, install-sh, ltmain.sh, missing, mkinstalldirs ...)[1].

It's AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR. You may want to scan configure.in/configure.ac for that construct. I'm not sure if it existed before autoconf 2.5x.

cheers,
dalibor topic

[1] The resoning being that it's just cluttering up the top source dir with things a normal developer shouldn't have to deal with. The less files in the top source directory, the higher the chance someone will read the README ;)