Re: Removal of libtool1.4

Scripsit Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net>

> What about packages whose maintainer uses libtool1.4 when generating
> the source package, but don't build-depend on it?

So far my script that checks for this has processed 384 of 7658 source
packages, and is somewhere in the b's. It has found 19 copies of
ltmain.sh from 1.5 and 31 copies of ltmain.sh from 1.4.

audacity and abiword include 1.4 ltmain.sh's as part of library source
that has been included in upstream's tarball for convenience (and is
probably not used in the Debian build process), but these 27 packages
seem to be likely to actually use the 1.4 script in their build
process:

  3dwm a52dec adasockets affix alsa-lib alsa-oss alsaplayer am-utils
  amanda amap ami anjuta anteater apl aqmoney arkrpg arson arts
  aspseek atlas-cpp audiofile autounit ax25-apps balsa bbconf bbkeys
  beep-media-player

My script does not distinguish whether the files it finds has been
touched by the .diff.gz, but even where it has not, there is always a
risk that the maintainer will need to fix something that requires him
to change the configure.{in,ac} and regenerate the configure script.
To do this without diving into unrelated porting effort, he needs a
copy of the appropriate libtool package installed lest one gets the
wrong autoconf macros for instantiating ltmain.sh.

If the frequency of libtool1.4 use in the 'a' packages is
representative of the whole archive, I expect to find about
540 source packages in total that have traces of libtool 1.4.

(By the way, these 7 packages include ltmain.sh's from 1.3 or even
earlier:

  beepcore-c apc aalib ace-of-penguins beecrypt audacity ax25spyd

--
Henning Makholm           "Larry wants to replicate all the time ... ah, no,
                   all I meant was that he likes to have a bang everywhere."