Re: [debian-devel] Re: fixing debconf stdin bug

Magosányi Árpád <mag@bunuel.tii.matav.hu> wrote:
> A levelezom azt hiszi, hogy Tore Anderson a következoeket írta:
>> * Manoj Srivastava
[...]
>>  >    Hence, stealing away stdin is a bug.

>>   For what it's worth, policy 6.3 also states you should use /dev/tty
>>  for interaction with the user

> Hence stealing away stdin is not a bug.

>>  it will only affect packages that are
>>  already buggy from failing to use /dev/tty for their non-Debconf
>>  interaction.

> Which means that stealing away stdin is a good mechanism to enforce
> policy conformant behaviour. (instead of being a bug)

> Make apt also steal stdin (if it isn't stolen already),
> file an RC bug against all packages which fail to
> install this way, and drop 'em out from Debian.

> Well, maybe I am kidding a bit, but I would like to see
> extremely hard measures towards release time. See how they
> have helped the kernel, and how Linus himself was surprised
> that the developers behaved themselfes.

Maybe I am stating the obvious but your analogy is broken. Linus did
not suddenly broaden his definition of an release-critical bug towards
release time, therefore increasing the number of rc-bugs. Instead he
decreased their number by cutting down the must-fix list and he
rejected any patch that had any effects beside fixing an rc-bug.
                    cu andreas
--
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest unstable _tin_