Re: fixing debconf stdin bug

Blars Blarson <blarson@blars.org> wrote:
> In article <[🔎] E1AfNAX-0000CF-S3@mid.downhill.at.eu.org>
> ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org writes:
>>Blars Blarson <blarson@blars.org> wrote:
>>> I submitted a patch to the bug (142944) in debconf where it does not
>>> restore stdin when doing db_stop.

>> You are not trying to get this into debconf before sarge are you?

> If it doesn't break anything, why shouldn't it?

I was referencing
| Joey Hess believes that this patch will cause problems...

As JH is debconf's maintainer I took this warning quite seriously.

> If it does cause problems for more than one or two packages, I would
> agree that it should wait until the packages have been fixed.  (So
> most likely after sarge.)

No disagreement here.

> So far, I havn't found any evidence it breaks any package, and I have
> been looking.  (Added all packages that depend on debconf to my local
> mirror, had a program search through all postinst scripts, and
> manually examined 78 postinst scripts.)

> The open fd 3 to the debconf frontend is more likely to cause
> problems, and none of the 78 packages are doing anything special about
> that.  (If the fd isn't closed, the debconf process will be left
> waiting for input from the deamon the postinst started.)

If I understand you correctly this kind of problem depends on the
_daemon's_ sourcecode and not only on the maintainerscript and cannot
reliably be found just by checing the latter, but by installing the
package, can it?
               cu andreas
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest unstable _tin_