Re: fixing debconf stdin bug

In article <[🔎] E1AfNAX-0000CF-S3@mid.downhill.at.eu.org>
ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org writes:
>Blars Blarson <blarson@blars.org> wrote:
>> I submitted a patch to the bug (142944) in debconf where it does not
>> restore stdin when doing db_stop.

>You are not trying to get this into debconf before sarge are you?
>                cu andreas

If it doesn't break anything, why shouldn't it?

If it does cause problems for more than one or two packages, I would
agree that it should wait until the packages have been fixed.  (So
most likely after sarge.)

So far, I havn't found any evidence it breaks any package, and I have
been looking.  (Added all packages that depend on debconf to my local
mirror, had a program search through all postinst scripts, and
manually examined 78 postinst scripts.)

The open fd 3 to the debconf frontend is more likely to cause
problems, and none of the 78 packages are doing anything special about
that.  (If the fd isn't closed, the debconf process will be left
waiting for input from the deamon the postinst started.)

--
Blars Blarson			blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html