Re: fixing debconf stdin bug

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	Policy merely states that you must needs use a debconf like
>  mechanism to talk to the user -- something that follows the policy
>  spec. That does not imply that debconf has sole rights -- one could
>  well have an alternate mechanism to talk to the user, which is policy
>  compliant, and not debconf.
>
> 	Hence, stealing away stdin is a bug.

Policy 3.10.1

     Package maintainer scripts may prompt the user if necessary.
     Prompting should be done by communicating through a program, such as
     `debconf', which conforms to the Debian Configuration management
     specification, version 2 or higher.  Prompting the user by other
     means, such as by hand[1], is now deprecated.

     The Debian Configuration management specification is included in the
     `debconf_specification' files in the `debian-policy' package.  It is
     also available from the Debian web mirrors at
     `/doc/packaging-manuals/debconf_specification.html

Debconf spec, "Communication with the frontend":

   This communication between the frontend and the application should be as
   simple as possible. Since most IO implementations default to line-buffered
   IO, so we use a simple language where each command is exactly one line.

   After sending each command to stdout, the client should read one line from
   stdin

Hence, there is no way for debconf (or alternate implementations, such as
cdebconf) to comply with current policy _without_ using stdio.

--
see shy jo