Re: Debian Debconf Translation proposal ( again )

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 02:08:45PM +0100, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> Colin Watson writes:
> > Anyway, I'm not saying other people shouldn't review
> > translations. The people arguing for bypassing the maintainer are
> > the people arguing for less review of translations, not me.
>
> You forget that spreading translations over a whole bunch of packages
> makes it much harder for the translation teams to properly review and
> fix translations.

That's easily fixed by DDTP-style automation.

> By the way, you say yourself that there are some languages that you
> never review.  This number will increase if Debian's translations grow
> to a proper number.  In this case, there will be a lot of languages
> that will be reviewed by very few people, as the maintainers don't
> know the language, and it's difficult for the translators to do it
> themselves.

FUD; the translators can easily do it with DDTP-style automation, as
above, since they ought to be familiar with the translation system
(maintainers aren't necessarily). It's still good to have maintainer
review where it's possible.