Re: Debian Debconf Translation proposal ( again )

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 07:01:49PM +0100, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> Colin Watson writes:
> > I think that releases of a package [1] should go through the
> > maintainer, or somebody else temporarily assuming the role (and
> > therefore the responsibilities) of the maintainer.
>
> So what you're saying is that package maintainers can do better
> quality control over translations than the translation teams, even
> though they don't know the language in question at all ?

Not better, but additional. Do you want to reduce quality control? Why?

Also, what makes you think that the latter is always true? (Hint: it's
not. Even beyond the three or four languages I can make a fair stab at
speaking, I can recognize right or wrong constructs in several others.)
And I've often picked up translators making small technical mistakes,
such as .po file header entries or encodings, that didn't require me to
know anything about the language.