Re: Debian Debconf Translation proposal ( again )

Denis Barbier <barbier@linuxfr.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 10:31:26PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> [...]
>> And I've often picked up translators making small technical mistakes,
>> such as .po file header entries or encodings, that didn't require me to
>> know anything about the language.

> These errors are normally detected at build time (i.e. gettext tools print
> error messages).  You caught them, but they would also be caught by the
> one building a package containing all translations, so this is not
> really a valuable argument.

Not necessarily. An UTF-8 encoded text can be valid ISO-8859-X, so if
you get a po-file that specifies ISO-8859-X as encoding in the header
but /is/ encoded in UTF-8 gettext won't (always) barf.

I stumbled over such a file recently and accidentally detected it when
checking the diff between old and new template.
                     cu andreas
--
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest unstable _tin_