Re: IMPORTANT: your message to html-tidy

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:57:58 +0800
Cameron Patrick <cameron@patrick.wattle.id.au> wrote:
> 20-40 messages per /HOUR/?  Spamassassin takes <1s to filter a message
> on my desktop, so presumably reasonably recent hardware should be able
> to manage 20-40 per minute...

    On my machine SA takes just shy of 2s per message.  667Mhz Coppermine.  So
I'd wager ~1800 messages per hour or 43200 messages a day.  Of course this
machine is also running a slew of other processes at the same time (router,
web, ftp, pop, imap, smtp, KDE dekstop, yadda, yadda, yadda, blah, blah,
blah) so those figures might be a bit low.  So, Craig says over the last week
he's rejected or processed 25130 messages.  Just over a half-day's work on my
6+ year old machine.  To get it to the point where a machine couldn't handle
his load it would have to handle less than 3600 messages a day which equates
to a mail a minute.  So, 2s w/PIII-667Mhz that would be 30 times slower.  I'm
having a hard time trying to guess what would be 30 times slower than my
667Mhz.  I'm losing it in the 586 -> 486 transition.  Of course RAM speeds
also bog things down in there.  However I'm having a hard time believing that
Craig's running his mail machine on anything under a 586.