Re: IMPORTANT: your message to html-tidy

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 04:26:57PM -0700, Joshua Kwan wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 06:40:46PM -0400, W3C List Manager wrote:
> > This is a response to a message apparently sent from your address to
> > html-tidy@w3.org:
> >
> >     Subject: Re: Thank you!
> >     From:    <debian-devel@lists.debian.org>
> >     Date:    Sat, 6 Sep 2003 18:40:45 --0400
> >
> > Your message has NOT been distributed to the list; before we distribute it,
> > we need your permission to include your message in our Web archive of all
> > messages distributed to this list.
>
> How ironic... C-R system at work :)

This one's a bit different.  It's only asking for permission to archive
posts to the list - I guess W3C's just trying, as hard as possible, to avoid
any possible legal problems.

The best way for this would be that the e-mail sent goes immediately to the
list, and lives in a holding pen for archiving.  Future e-mails just get
sent straight to the holding pen until OK'd for archival, without bothering
the sender.  That way, if you don't want your messages archived, you just
ignore the first e-mail and continue on your way.

Of course, if it's not done this way (eg you send a "please OK to archive"
for each message) then sending a message to one of these lists, purporting
to be from another similarly configured list, would cause quite a stir...
<g>

Still, if you don't want it put on the web, don't send it.  *Especially* to
a mailing list of (potentially) thousands of people.

- Matt