Re: IMPORTANT: your message to html-tidy

on Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 10:17:29PM -0700, Steve Lamb (grey@dmiyu.org) wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:57:58 +0800
> Cameron Patrick <cameron@patrick.wattle.id.au> wrote:
> > 20-40 messages per /HOUR/?  Spamassassin takes <1s to filter a message
> > on my desktop, so presumably reasonably recent hardware should be able
> > to manage 20-40 per minute...
>
>     On my machine SA takes just shy of 2s per message.  667Mhz Coppermine.  So
> I'd wager ~1800 messages per hour or 43200 messages a day.

Mail load isn't distributed evenly over the course of a day.

From my ISP days, peak was 9am to 3pm for a userbase largely clustered
around our home TZ.  For a more distributed user population, that's
going to vary a bit.  As much as 80% of the mail would be arriving
during this four hour period -- or 1/6 day.  That's about 5,760
messages/hour (assuming I can read and do math, which may be a stretch).
So your 1800 messages/hr would be lagging by 3 hours per hour of
runtime.

Disabling network tests increases throughput markedly.  I've been
looking for some performance statistics but can't find anything through
Google.

Note to that spamd is a true network-accessible daemon and can be
accessed round-robin style for distributed spam-processing.

Peace.

   NPR:  Radio for between the ears:  http://www.npr.org/