Re: Build-Depends-Indep: debhelper, utilizing it in debian/rules clean

Brian May <bam@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 08:53:35PM +0100, Andreas Metzler wrote:
>> People just don't realize that using Build-Depends-Indep instead of
>> Build-Depends for a binary-all package is useless. - There are no
>> benefits, just the possibility to introduce the bug we are talking
>> about.

> So what is the purpose of Build-Depends-Indep?

> (I am guessing from this thread either I have misunderstood it
> and/or policy has changed).

Hello,
Autobuilders don't build binary-all packages and the binary-all part
of mixed all/arch packages. The split
Build-Depends-Indep/Build-Depends currently fulfills only one purpose,
to reduce the number of packages an autobuilder has to install when
building a mixed indep/arch package.

The autobuilders install _only_ Build-Depends and invoke these
targets via dpkg-buildpackage -B
clean
build
binary-arch

This contradicts policy 7.6
| The Build-Depends-Indep and Build-Conflicts-Indep fields must be
| satisfied when any of the following targets is invoked: build,
| build-indep, binary and binary-indep.
but this is current practice. - If you invoke 'dpkg-buildpackage -B'
it will run 'dpkg-checkbuilddeps -B' which will only force
installation of Build-Depends and nevertheless run 'build'.

The current state of affairs is that Build-Depends-Indep should list
anything _additionally_ needed for 'build-indep'. - There is a policy
proposal in the works to make the unused targets binary-arch and
binary-indep useful, #218893.
                   cu andreas
--
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest unstable _tin_