Re: Build-Depends-Indep: debhelper, utilizing it in debian/rules clean

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 11:04:26AM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 08:53:35PM +0100, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> > People just don't realize that using Build-Depends-Indep instead of
> > Build-Depends for a binary-all package is useless. - There are no
> > benefits, just the possibility to introduce the bug we are talking
> > about.
>
> So what is the purpose of Build-Depends-Indep?

The purpose of Build-Depends-Indep is to contain packages that need
_not_ be installed on to build arch-dependent packages. There is a
common misconception that "Build-Depends-Indep" is the opposite of
"Build-Depends". It is not; it is the opposite of a nonexistant
"Build-Depends-Arch" or something similar. "Build-Depends" should only
contain that which is used in *both* binary-arch and binary-indep.

> (I am guessing from this thread either I have misunderstood it
> and/or policy has changed).

Perhaps policy should be reworded or clarified (again). I gave it a shot
a few months ago, but apparently it's still not clear enough.

I've got an idea that might kill misconceptions once and for all. I'll
polish it a bit, and send a proposal to -policy.

--
Wouter Verhelst
"Stop breathing down my neck." "My breathing is merely a simulation."