Re: Changes in formal naming for NetBSD porting effort(s)

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 08:17:03AM -0800, Nunya wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 10:31:53AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > >
> > > That's another opinion expressed as a generalization.  I think you
> > > better quit while you're ahead.
> >
> > It seemed inductively valid, but easy enough to disprove.  Anyone care
> > to provide a counter-example?  Do any non-Christians wish to express
> > personal discomfort or offense with the names I proposed?
>
> Muslims and Jews also believe in demons.
> Witches believe in demons.
> African nature-religionists also believe in demons.

Do they all mean the same thing by "demon"?  From my amateurish
dabblings in comparative religion, I seriously doubt it, especially in
the case of the non-Abrahamic religions listed, which have seen less of
a dualistic, Zoroastrian influence (not surprising given that Wicca
claims to be grounded on Celtic traditions, and both the Celts and
Africans are far from the Middle East, whereas the Abrahamic religions
all originate there).

> Face it dude, you're hatred and unfairness towards one specific group of
> people is shining through.

I try very hard not to hate *people*.  I do, on the other hand, think
some belief systems are highly inimical to critical and rational thought.

How am I being "unfair"?  I have asked people why the Debian Project
should make product naming decisions within constraints imposed
particularly by the Christian religion, and I have yet to receive an
answer.

It would be unfair indeed if the Debian Project were to place the biases
of the Christian religion (or, more likely, the biases of the proponents
of some particular sect of it, who happen to be making noise on this
mailing list).

I propose we disregard the biases of all religions equally.

> I don't think this project is so enlightened after all.

If your notion of enlightment is one which is derived from divine
revelation, then I suspect you're right.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Somebody once asked me if I thought
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    sex was dirty.  I said, "It is if