Re: Changes in formal naming for NetBSD porting effort(s)

Nunya <31210.nospam@comcast.net> writes:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 04:12:56PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Because Christians are the people who primarily take offense at this
>> sort of thing in the context that we were discussing in this portion of
>> the thread.

> That's another opinion expressed as a generalization.  I think you
> better quit while you're ahead.

No, I believe that's a factual statement, particularly if you read all of
the parts of the statement, including words like "primarily" and "in the
context."

I'm aware that there are other mythological contexts in which demon names
would raise similar difficulties, but they don't tend to show up in these
sorts of naming threads and they don't tend to get excited about these
sorts of problems.  This is hardly the first time that this has come up in
the context of naming, and in my experience the overwhelming majority of
the objections come from the context of Christian mythology.  The most
numerous and heated objections, again in my experience, come from people
who self-identify as Christians.

I believe that if you cared to do the research on Usenet and mailing list
debates of this kind, my statement above is defensible as fact on rigorous
statistical grounds.  But I don't care enough to do the work to prove that
to you.  :)