Re: [OT] Re: Changes in formal naming for NetBSD porting effort(s)

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 04:21:40PM -0800, Nunya wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 02:02:03PM -0600, Chad Walstrom wrote:
> > And way out from Right Field...
>
> http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/appeal-to-ridicule.html

> substitute any racial or ethnic group for christians
> see how the statements sound in your ears then

There are very important distinctions between the following statements:

"Christians are stupid."

"Tenets of the Christian faith offend me."

"I consider a belief in <X> to be foolish/silly/stupid/whatever."

"Organized religion is meaningful only as a method of controlling people
gullible enough to fall for it."

[ ObDisclaimer: If you want to know which, if any, of the above are       ]
[ actually an opinion I hold, ask me in *private* email.                  ]

One of these things is not like the others... one of these things is not
the same. While the topicality is questionable (actually, it's not; it's
pretty much completely off-topic), making assertions about behavior that
happens to be a requirement for membership in a given group is not the same
as making assertions about that group (for example, it applies equally to
entities who are *not* part of that group, but exhibit the same behavior).
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>                                        ,''`.
Debian GNU/NetBSD(i386) porter                                       : :' :