Re: Initrd rocks! (was Re: Backporting 2.4.23 kernel packages)

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 06:31:19PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > This is distinct from the autodetection in the kernel that is capable of
> > automatically scanning all harddisks on all busses to find RAID devices.
>
> Why can't you use the kernel autoconfig or does that only work with
> build-in drivers?

I believe the kernel raid1 autodetection only works if raid1 is compiled
into the kernel.

In anycase, initrd images generated from mkinitrd in Debian do not
autodetect.

IIRC, There is a parameter to mdadm (--scan?) that could be used for
this, but when I asked the initrd maintainer I was given a good reason
why it was not used (sorry; I can't remember what this was now; it might
simply be that the mdadm code is unreliable, inefficient, or buggy).
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>