Re: Initrd rocks! (was Re: Backporting 2.4.23 kernel packages)

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 12:02, Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net> wrote:
> That's sad.  initrd saved my bacon more than once. ;-)  If you like to

Initrd broke my systems more than once.

The recent versions of the package have significant problems if you want to
convert to or from devfs.  The Debian mkinitrd has become too complex to
manage so I have chosen not to bother.

> compile vanilla kernels, either find the Debian cramfs-initrd patch or
> use romfs.  Then change mkinitrd.conf(5) to look like this:
>
>   MKIMAGE="genromfs -d %s -f %s"

MKIMAGE='genromfs -f /dev/fd/1 -d %s | gzip -9 > %s'
The above is a better option.

> mkinitrd is pretty good about finding your required modules, but it
> sometimes doesn't get it right.  Always mount the romfs file and make
> sure the modules are there and will be loaded (/etc/modules).

I know, that's why I wrote a Perl script to get the right modules and also
create a modules.dep file which has only the necessary data (attached).  This
saves ~40k for modules.dep alone and much more by avoiding unneeded modules.