Re: Initrd rocks! (was Re: Backporting 2.4.23 kernel packages)

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 02:02:10PM +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
> The recent versions of the package have significant problems if you want to
> convert to or from devfs.  The Debian mkinitrd has become too complex to
> manage so I have chosen not to bother.

This seems strange, perhaps the process is not entirely obvious,
but I wouldn't have thought it be too difficult.

However, I have been disappointed with the initrd script for Debian in
that support for autodetecting software RAID1 is poor (read:
non-existant), and while RAID1 will work if the harddisks are plugged in
exactly the same way each time, the fact remains that the configuration
is hardcoded in the initrd script so if you move all harddisks on one
RAID set to different busses (for instance), it will stop working.

This is distinct from the autodetection in the kernel that is capable of
automatically scanning all harddisks on all busses to find RAID devices.

So yes, maybe initrd/initramfs is the way of the future (I have read
proposals that would make loading modules in an initramfs compulsory for
all systems), but I think there are still a few issues that need to be
resolved first.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>