Initrd rocks! (was Re: Backporting 2.4.23 kernel packages)

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 05:11:50PM +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
> What is needed for initrd-tools?  I've given up on using initrd's for
> kernels I compile.

That's sad.  initrd saved my bacon more than once. ;-)  If you like to
compile vanilla kernels, either find the Debian cramfs-initrd patch or
use romfs.  Then change mkinitrd.conf(5) to look like this:

  MKIMAGE="genromfs -d %s -f %s"

I've had problems with "BUSYBOX=yes", so I don't include it.  (I should
have debugged it -- had to do w/mount and /etc/fstab, but I didn't have
the time.)

mkinitrd is pretty good about finding your required modules, but it
sometimes doesn't get it right.  Always mount the romfs file and make
sure the modules are there and will be loaded (/etc/modules).

Good luck!

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/