Re: exim4-config and exim4-base installed on systems with non-exim-MTA

Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 05:46:30PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
>> On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 13:43:39 +1000, Anthony Towns
>> <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
>>> The one that gets installed later, Pre-Deps the one that gets installed
>>> earlier. exim4-daemon Pre-Depends: exim4-config; exim4-config Depends:
>>> exim4-base, probably.
>> Unfortunately, that doesn't work.

> Err, of course it doesn't. What a stupid idea.

> Seriously, I think you need to reconsider having the configuration in
> a separate package.

> What're you trying to achieve exactly?

To keep dselect from installing -base and -config on upgrades from
woody if some other MTA is already installed.

Which has an obvious, ugly solution one comes up after stopping to think
too hard. ;-)

We only found it *after* wasting lots o time on IRC thinking through
the complicated workarounds like dependency circles with pre-depends,
and moving postinst to /usr/share/ to simulate dependencies.

Package: exim4-config
Conflicts: $list_of_packages_providing_MTA_in_sarge.

grep-available. EOT.
         cu andreas

--
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest unstable _tin_