Re: exim4-config and exim4-base installed on systems with non-exim-MTA

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 02:15:30AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 04:41:00PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
>> as co-maintainer for the exim4-packages, I have noticed an issue with
>> dselect. Currently, exim4 is the default MTA, and exim4, exim4-base,
>> exim4-config and exim4-daemon-light are Priority: important, while
>> exim4-daemon-light provides mail-transport-agent. The exact package
>> dependencies can be seen in the archive.

> What are they, exactly, and why are they that way?

exim4 is a metapackage that depends on the other three and is not hit by
the problem. The rest is a straighforward chain.

With "-->--" as "depends on":

daemon -->-- -base -->-- -config.

other possible dependencies would be:
daemon -->--  -config -->-- -base
or
daemon -->-- -base
   `---->--  -config

The daemon-packages provide/conflict/replaces MTA.

The main point is that the daemon is started by its own postinst
and therefore it requires ATM -base to be unpacked (init-script) and
-config to be configured.

Afaict starting/stopping the the daemon in its own postinst/prerm is
really the only correct thing to do as it needs to be restarted when
only daemon is upgraded or when you exchange daemon-light for
daemon-heavy.
                 cu andreas