Re: exim4-config and exim4-base installed on systems with non-exim-MTA

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 04:21:55 +1000, Anthony Towns
<aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
>I'm going to ignore the -config package, since it's not really part of
>the problem.

Is it?

>Okay, so you want to say:
>
>	* any exim4-daemon package should only be installed when exim4-base
>	  is already installed and setup
>	* exim4-base and shouldn't be installed when another MTA
>	  is installed
>	* exim4-base shouldn't be installed when exim4-daemon isn't going
>	  to be installed

Yes. Additionally, the three points hold for exim4-config as well.

>Ideally you'd have a dep loop here: exim4-daemon deps exim4-base and
>vice-versa. There are two options that can make that work, one is a
>Pre-Depends: (avoid if possible, but maybe not unreasonable),

Do we need consensus on -devel to have two binary packages built from
the same source declaring a pre-dependency?

>the other
>is to ensure that exim4-base (and config) is "configured" first, which
>can be done by having them not have a postinst script. That mightn't be
>good enough.

Both -base and -config have non-trivial postinst scripts.

>If those solutions aren't possible, then you can have exim4-base installed
>without an exim4 daemon. To avoid having another MTA installed, you have
>to have a Conflicts: m-t-a. You thus also have to have a Provides: m-t-a.
>But then you have to provide /usr/sbin/sendmail, which means you need
>a daemon installed.
>
>So you're back to needing the circular dependencies.

Right.

>Personally, I'd suggest not having the separate -config package; and
>letting sites do their own exim configurations manually, rather than by
>creating a replacement -config package.

The way -config does the configuration is something that is questioned
by a lot of people. Most conservative eximists hate the configuration
being split out in several files, and having the separate -config
package allows people to throw away the entire -config magic.

This is something I would hate to give up.

>If that's really out of the question, and the -config or -base package needs
>a postinst atm, a Pre-Depends is probably the best option.

Which package should then pre-depend on which other package?

Greetings
Marc, really appreciating your help