Re: exim4-config and exim4-base installed on systems with non-exim-MTA

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 08:37:06PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> >the other
> >is to ensure that exim4-base (and config) is "configured" first, which
> >can be done by having them not have a postinst script. That mightn't be
> >good enough.
> Both -base and -config have non-trivial postinst scripts.

The -base postinst script is avoidable: have it supply
/usr/lib/exim4-base/configure-me and then execute that from the -daemon
package. ie, just use the -base package to provide common files that
you don't want to distribute twice (in separate daemon packages), and
put all the execution into the daemon packages.

> The way -config does the configuration is something that is questioned
> by a lot of people. Most conservative eximists hate the configuration
> being split out in several files, and having the separate -config
> package allows people to throw away the entire -config magic.

Okay, that's bad then. What's the -config magic that you can't give up?

Maybe an easy way of answering that is to instead answer this: why can't
you just make the -config package a bunch of files and a script that
doesn't get executed until the daemon package is installed?

> >If that's really out of the question, and the -config or -base package needs
> >a postinst atm, a Pre-Depends is probably the best option.
> Which package should then pre-depend on which other package?

The one that gets installed later, Pre-Deps the one that gets installed
earlier. exim4-daemon Pre-Depends: exim4-config; exim4-config Depends:
exim4-base, probably.

Cheers,
aj

               Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we can.