Re: Building Debian Completely From Source

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 09:31:54PM +0200, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> For example, every self-hosting compiler build-depends on itself
> (many of them can be bootstrapped, but I'm not sure we want to require
> bootstrapping on every build - and some require manual bootstrapping
> work).

Obviously gcc is the #1 example of this.  However, gcc packages should
not need to depend on themselves; in our distribution, we tend to have
many different versions of gcc available, and any of them should be able
to build a newer gcc.

Nothing else in main comes to mind right now, though I'm sure there is
something else...

But for everything but the C compiler, I think that the build probably
should do the bootstrapping work itself wherever possible.