Re: Building Debian Completely From Source

On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 20:59, John Goerzen wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 09:31:54PM +0200, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> > For example, every self-hosting compiler build-depends on itself
> > (many of them can be bootstrapped, but I'm not sure we want to require
> > bootstrapping on every build - and some require manual bootstrapping
> > work).
>
> Nothing else in main comes to mind right now, though I'm sure there is
> something else...

make?  You'll need make installed to make make.  There are a huge number
of legitimate circular build dependencies, outlawing them won't help.

The way to deal with them is to go install the binary .deb you've
already got, then build the same package to get your "pristine" source
version.

Installing the gcc .deb to build gcc isn't any different from installing
any other cc, after all.

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?