Re: exim4-config and exim4-base installed on systems with non-exim-MTA

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 23:29:22 +0100, Tore Anderson <tore@linpro.no>
wrote:
>* Marc Haber
>> The way -config does the configuration is something that is questioned
>> by a lot of people. Most conservative eximists hate the configuration
>> being split out in several files,

>Absolutely, this is a slight convenience for the packagers
>which causes a major inconvenience to the users.
>Well, in my opinion anyway.

Well, I am only paid to work on the exim4 package if my employer gets
to use the package as well. Since we don't want debconf questions to
pop up during installation and we found the pre-fabricated -config too
inflexible for our needs, -config needs to be split out.

Otherwise, exim4 would not have a co-maintainer.

> > and having the separate -config package allows people to throw away
> > the entire -config magic.
>
>  How?  (Short of creating a empty replacement -config package.)

The source package holds infrastructure for three possibilities:

- A script is included that splits out -config source from the source
  package, allowing the debconf stuff to be modified independently
- A script is included that creates a debconf-less -config source
  package that uses split config.
- A script is included that creates a -config source package with
  monolithic config.

Greetings
Marc