Re: Debian packages and freedesktop.org (Gnome, KDE, etc) menu entries

Sebastien Bacher <seb128@debian.org> writes:
> I'm not sure that's a good idea. I'm using Gnome and I'd like to keep a
> simple applications' menu, not having hundred entries like in my
> debian's menu. Having too many entries in a menu is an usability problem
> imho (it's very annoying to search an item in the middle of long
> menus). If you are using non KDE/Gnome apps you should perhaps add some
> launchers in the desktop for them ?

I disagree entirely.

I use gnome and I find the `builtin' gnome application menus pretty much
useless -- they point to a few token applications that I don't use, and
don't have any of the interesting applications.

The debian menus (I mean those under the top-level label `Debian' in the
Gnome foot menu), OTOH, are _much_ better:  they actually have the
applications I installed!  They are are also quite well organized, I
don't find them cluttered at all.

I think dropping the current `auto add' behavior of menus would be a
_serious_ mistake.

-Miles
--
Yo mama's so fat when she gets on an elevator it HAS to go down.