Re: Preparation of Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r2 (II)

Scripsit Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp>

> We are handing over the worries on the mirror distributors hands;

It seems to be widely accepted in the thread that no legal worry that
may be handed over to to anyone has been satisfactorily demonstrated.

> and Debian JP project is informed that at least one distributor
> is distributing a modified copy of Debian as Debian CD after
> removing the specific fonts.

That's their right, as long as they do not claim that the CDs are
official Debian images.

> As to your argument of having packages removed breaking scripts;
> that would not be a problem for kochi, as long as kochi-replacement
> fonts are installed to stable release.

It *is* a problem for my hypothetical user that he has to wade through
his scripts and add "-replacement" in various places. And who is even
telling him that he needs to? It is possible that the fonts are only
used in special cases, which are not among the one he tests before
putting his new machine into production.

--
Henning Makholm          "Ambiguous cases are defined as those for which the
                       compiler being used finds a legitimate interpretation