Re: [debian-devel] autoconf AC_SYS_LARGEFILE

>--[Bastian Blank]--<waldi@debian.org>
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:18:28PM +1100, Brian May wrote:

> > I have traced it to the AC_SYS_LARGEFILE autoconf macro (autoconf 2.57),
> > it outputs the following in config.log:
> [...]
> > What is going on here? Any ideas?
> (_AC_SYS_LARGEFILE_TEST_INCLUDES includes the failing code), it is never
> checked if it finds a gcc. maybe your forget to call AC_PROG_CC before?

Actually, if it relies on AC_PROG_CC being called, but doesn't AC_REQUIRE
it, isn't it broken, then? However, a simple
AC_INIT
AC_SYS_LARGEFILE
AC_OUTPUT
sequence causes gcc to be checked for, so you might have set GCC to some value
in your build environment?

> |       while :; do
> |         # IRIX 6.2 and later do not support large files by default,
> |         # so use the C compiler's -n32 option if that helps.
> |         AC_LANG_CONFTEST([AC_LANG_PROGRAM([_AC_SYS_LARGEFILE_TEST_INCLUDES])])
> |         AC_COMPILE_IFELSE([], [break])
> |         CC="$CC -n32"
> |         AC_COMPILE_IFELSE([], [ac_cv_sys_largefile_CC=' -n32'; break])
> |         break
> |       done

Anyway, it doesn't explain why the test loops, because as far as I can see,
the break really does match the while (I'd be *very* carefull putting a
break in there somewhere - a nested if might be more robust), in particular
the break at the end of the while loop. Maybe the loop was caused by
AC_SYS_LARGEFILE being called repeatedly?

Anyway, just my 2¢...

--
         100 DM =  51  € 13 ¢.
         100  € = 195 DM 58 pf.