Re: Debian IS for the enterprise (Was: Debian Enterprise?)

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 01:23:39PM -0800, Blars Blarson wrote:
> In article <[🔎] 20031120090145.GA4260@comcast.net>
> tb.31112.nospam@comcast.net writes:
> >I had a friend who worked at Bell in the very early 1960s.  He told me
> >before the phone system went digital there was a special code you could
> >issue which would activate the microphone when the phone was on the
> >hook.  So if the government is going to ruin your life, it's been
> >happening for at least 40 years.
>
> Since 60's era phones all used carbon microphones, and when on-hook
> didn't draw enough power to use such a microphone, that's easy to
> disprove even without disassembling a phone.  If you did disassemble
> one, you would notice the microphone isn't connected to the line when
> on-hook.
>
> Your freind was trying to see how gullible you were...

Several Usenet comments circa 1990 back up what you are saying.
There were several eavesdropping techniques ("Infinity Transmitter")
but they required one-time physical access to the device.

Here's an article describes eavesdropping without access to the phone:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=microphone+telephone+on+hook&start=20&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&selm=1v6eck%243p2%40sun.Panix.Com&rnum=27

I don't know what the right answer is.  However, I've learned that 99.9%
of the time when some EE tells me "oh you're full of shit because I know
the device and that can't be possible", they're usually not telling the
whole truth.